Thursday, November 20, 2008

Back from Ethiopia

We arrived back from Ethiopia on Sunday, 16th of November. Sorry that I haven't updated before now, but every time I get still I fall asleep. Traveling halfway around the world, across 9 time zones, sure gets your body out of whack. My days and nights are still reversed and so are Tommy's. We are falling asleep about
8 p.m. and waking up in the morning about 4 or 5 am.
The trip was truly amazing. We stayed so busy that it flew by so fast. We loved on hundreds of children, got to fit lots of them with new shoes and made sure they knew that Jesus loved them. Addis Ababa is a city of about 5 million and they were all on the streets every day. Mostly walking, but many vans carrying passengers and some buses like we were on. The places we went were the very poor. Buckners does some wonderful things to help the orphans there. We went to 2 schools where they are training the older orphans in professions so they can have a trade to make it on their own. We really fell in love with a couple of girls from the girls home. Orphan girls from ages 14 to 20. They have their own dorm rooms, except not so big or nice, very simple. These girls would end up prostitutes if Buckner had not helped them. I know this happens all over the world, but we got a chance to see it first hand. We were truly humbled by the whole trip. God revealed to me that He has a plan for their lives just like He has a plan for our lives. Jer. 29:11
We are home and back to our daily routines, but I hope we will not forget the people and the poverty of Ethiopia. God was there!!!!! He went before us, lead us while we were there to see HIS people, and brought us home safely. God is faithful.
Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts as we were away.

2 comments:

Fletcher Family said...

I want to see some pictures!

Vanessa Wooten said...

Me too ~ I can't wait to see the pictures.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I had asked my church family here in Cibolo to be praying for you all when you were on your trip. So, I have copied this message and past it on to them as well.

We love you and are SO GLAD you are back safe!